SPEED AND STRENGTH
"WHERE ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE"
THE RIVERHOUNDS ACADEMY
The modern-day soccer player is fast, strong, skillful, and intelligent. This means we must consistently enhance each aspect over time. The Academy finalized negotiations with Mike Whiteman, appointing Whiteman as a full-time member of the Staff. Taking on the role of Director of Sport Science, Mike is fully responsible for overseeing the athletic development of all players, ages 8 and up. This will include designing age-appropriate workouts to develop balance, coordination, core/absolute strength, and proper speed mechanics. As is the case with professional soccer Clubs around the world, all players will be tracked accordingly, to identify and address weaknesses, determine growth, and chart this progression for future scouting opportunities.
This winter, all players will be evaluated on the following drills:
20 Yard Dash
- Tests acceleration and linear speed
- Tests athletes ability to accelerate, decelerate and effectively change direction.
- Demonstrates footwork, balance and coordination while moving
- Tests Power, rate of force production
300 Yard Shuttle
- Builds endurance and increases the ability to recover from intense bouts of sprinting
- Athlete must be able to demonstrate the ability to effectively change direction while fatigued
Speed and Strength Video Library:
Director of Sports Science