Riverhounds Defeat Barracudas 4-1
Score two goals in each half to earn first win in July

Pittsburgh-The Pittsburgh Riverhounds earned their first victory in the month of July by defeating the Antigua Barracudas 4-1 Friday night at Chartiers Valley Stadium.  Matt Kassel converted two goals and added an assist to lead the Riverhounds to victory.  Jeremy Deighton recorded his first goal of the season in the 32nd minute while Mike Seth recorded his second goal against the Barracudas this season on a strong individual effort late in the second half.

The Riverhounds jumped on top of the Barracudas early in the contest when Kassel ran passed his marker in the 4th minute of play.  Seth C’deBaca picked up a loose ball near midfield and found Matt Dallman streaking down the left flank.  Making his first appearance this year in Riverhounds colors, Dallman took a quick touch inside to free himself from his marker and slotted a pass for Kassel slashing through the penalty area.  Kassel took a touch to prepare his body and struck a low left-footed shot that found the back of the net.

The Riverhounds would continue pressuring the Barracudas goal over the next ten minutes and received multiple opportunities to add to their lead, but Antigua’s goalkeeper Keita Decastro was in good position to stifle the chances.

In the 32nd minute, the Riverhounds would capitalize on a corner kick from the right side.  Kassel delivered a quality service to the back post for Deighton.   Rising above his marker, Deighton redirected the cross down and passed Decastro for the Riverhounds second goal of the night.

The Barracudas nearly cut the Riverhounds lead in half just before the halftime break.  Picking off a pass just outside the Riverhounds penalty area, Matthew Aldred shot a bending ball over Hunter Gilstrap that was dipping down towards the top corner, but his attempt hit the top of the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

Coming out of the break with a more direct style of play, the Barracudas would cut the Riverhounds lead in half in the 55th minute of play.  The Barracudas crossed a ball from the right flank that ricocheted off of three different players and landed at the feet of Tamorley Thomas at the back post.  Taking a touch out of his feet, Thomas hit a low right-footed shot across the goal mouth and past Gilstrap for the Barracudas only goal of the night.

The Barracudas nearly drew even with the Riverhounds three minutes later on a counter attack.  Quinton Griffith found Kerry Skepple sitting in a pocket of space in front of the Riverhounds defensive line.  Turning and traveling into the space with speed, Skepple whistled a long-range shot that was heading into the top left corner of the goal.  Scurrying across his line, Gilstrap dove high to his right and pushed the ball outside of the goal with his left hand to deny Skepple of the equalizer.

The Riverhounds would strike back twenty minutes later with two goals in less than a minute to put the game away.  Kassel headed home a long throw-in from Seth in the 75th minute for his second tally of the night.  On the ensuing kickoff, Seth’s defensive pressure on the ball allowed him to strip a Barracudas defender of the ball and attack the goal with only Decastro to beat.  Seth rifled home a right-footed shot to convert the fourth and final goal for the Riverhounds.

The Riverhounds return to Chartiers Valley Stadium next Tuesday to host the Los Angeles Blues.  The game is scheduled for 7:00 PM kickoff.  The Barracudas will travel to Dayton to meet the Dutch Lions on Sunday night at Miami Valley South Stadium.  Their game is slated to kickoff at 7:30 PM.


600 Iron City Drive, Pittsburgh, PA, 15205
Phone: 412-539-1191  Fax: 412-250-0090
Email: tickets@riverhounds.com