A wet Sunday wiped out a handful of Riverhounds Development Academy (RDA) games this weekend, but not before a full Saturday slate was completed with games in Ohio, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
The 05/06 RDA II Girls showed off their skills and the club's depth by picking up a pair of wins over teams playing in their home state of New Jersey at the Epic Tournament. An own goal and goals by Lauren Paxton and Eliana Devin got things started right with a 3-2 win over Global Premier Soccer, and the team followed that up two hours later with a 4-1 win over Match Fit Academy, as Gianna Babusci scored twice, and Ave Brukner and Devin also added goals for the Hounds.
Unfortunately for the RDA team, which sat atop Group A with their 2-0 record and plus-4 goal differential, their chance at playing in a final was ended when heavy rain and thunderstorms wiped out the second day of the tournament.
It was a weekend off for the club's ECNL teams, but the Hounds younger squads each had a pair of Ohio North League matches in the Buckeye State.
The 07 Boys came away with two good results. Owen Mollenauer scored twice in the team's 4-0 win over CSA Impact in their opening game, and Sam Wessel was strong in net to help the Hounds take a 2-2 draw from their second match against Pacesetter SC. The 09 Boys split their matches against the same two clubs, and Warren Agostoni scored three times on the day with a goal in the 4-3 win over CSA Impact and both goals in a 4-2 loss to Pacesetter SC.
For complete Hounds Academy results and news, including the 03 East Boys battling at the Challenger Invitational in eastern Pennsylvania and the announcement of the coaching staff for 2019-20, visit our Live Results page HERE.
Sunday, May 12
• Heavy rain and storms along the Pennsylvania/New Jersey border wiped out the second day of the Epic Tournament. The 05/06 RDA II Girls were atop their group at 2-0-0 but did not get a chance to reach the final, which they would have done with a win or draw. The 03/04 Composite Girls had two group matches wiped out.
• The 03 East Boys wrapped up their stay at the Challenger Invitational in Lancaster County with a 4-0 loss at the hands of Keystone Athletics. The score was a bit harsh to the Hounds, who played with plenty of heart but had some critical bounces go against them on a rain-soaked surface.
Saturday, May 11
At the Epic Tournament in New Jersey:
• The 05/06 RDA II Girls started out with a game controlling possession, and an own goal and strikes by Lauren Paxton and Eliana Devin put the Hounds over the top in a 3-2 win over Global Premier Soccer (N.J.).
• Playing a second game on only two hours' rest, the 05/06 RDA II Girls lived up to their opponents' name by getting their second win of the tournament against Match Fit Academy (N.J), 4-1. Gianna Babusci scored twice, and Ave Brukner and Eliana Devin also scored as the RDA girls pulled away in the second half after leading just 1-0 at the break.
• The 03/04 Composite Girls ran into a tough pair of opponents, falling 5-0 to Jersey South FC and 8-0 to PA Rush.
At the Challenger Invitational in Lancaster County, Pa.:
• The 03 East Boys were in control for much of their match, but multiple big saves by the goalkeeper for FC Ballyhoo and a questionable penalty kick conceded sent the Hounds to a 1-0 defeat to their opponents from York.
• The second game for the 03 East Boys was a tale of two halves. After going to the break tied after a strong first half, the Hounds conceded from a corner kick 15 minutes into the second half. From that point onward, momentum stayed with the LTSC Force (Md.), which added two more second-half goals to send the RDA East boys to a 4-1 loss.
In Ohio North League matches:
• The 09 Boys got off to a high-scoring start with a 4-3 win against CSA Impact (Ohio). Grayson Stuart, Carson Torres, Adam Figures and Warren Agestoni scored the Hounds' goals. Agestoni was on target two more times in the team's second game against Pacesetter SC (Ohio), but a poor first half was too much to overcome in a 4-2 defeat.
• Rylee Leasher scored for the 09 Girls, and Sarah Tinkey performed well in goal, but two late goals put distance between the sides in a 4-1 win for Greater Toledo FC (Ohio). The team was tripped up again in their second match, falling to Internationals Red (Ohio).
• Justin Garvey put the 08 Boys in front, but a late penalty kick allowed CSA Impact to pull level for a 1-1 draw. A second draw seemed in order, but Pacesetter SC stole a 3-2 victory with the winning goal on the final kick of the game.
• The 08 Girls couldn't find the net in their weekend opener and fell by a 5-0 score to Greater Toledo FC before wrapping the day with another tough loss against Internationals Red.
• Owen Mollenauer had a pair of goals, and Billy Kowalkowski and Nicholas Scueglia rounded out the scoring in a big 4-0 win for the 07 Boys over CSA Impact. The boys followed that up with a 2-2 draw against Pacesetter SC; Dante Sartori scored the second goal after a nice combo worked with Nate Katari, while Sam Wessel was solid in goal.
• The 07 Girls took a pair of tough defeats after playing well in each match. A couple of soft goals allowed led to a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Greater Toledo, while a 3-1 loss to Internationals Red stung the Hounds after offside claims went unanswered on two of the goals conceded.