The Riverhounds Development Academy had a light weekend of matches as teams prepared to wrap up the competitive year at regional and national tournaments later this month, but a few of the Hounds' boys teams still had business to tend to in ECNL conference play hosting the Michigan Wolves for matches at Montour Junction and Highmark Stadium.
The 2004 Boys started things out the right way Saturday with a 4-3 victory sparked by a Bubby Towns hat trick. Anders Bordoy also scored in the win, which showcased the Hounds' attacking ability.
The tables were turned the next day, however, as Marshall Richter put the 04 Boys in the lead, only to see a pair of defensive miscues allow the visiting Wolves to come back in the second half for a 2-1 win.
The 02 Boys also had a pair of closely contested matches with the Wolves, but the guests, who needed two wins to finish second in the conference and be assured of a spot in the ECNL Playoffs, escaped with wins of 1-0 and 2-1. Austin Rocke had the RDA goal in the second match, which also saw a strong Hounds' claim for a penalty waved off by the referee shortly after the Wolves took a 2-0 lead in the first half.
Despite the setbacks, the 02 and 04 Boys finished a respectable fifth place in the 11-team Midwest Conference, and none of the Hounds' Boys ECNL teams finished worse than sixth for the 2018-19 season.
To stay up-to-date on the latest games and news from the RDA, keep checking the Live Results page.
Sunday, June 9
In Boys ECNL matches at Highmark Stadium:
• Marshall Richter put the 04 Boys ahead before halftime, but a pair of costly errors led to two Michigan Wolves goals in the second half, and the Hounds fell, 2-1.
• Wes Carnevale had the goal, but for the second day in a row, the 03 Boys were topped by a very good Wolves side, 5-1.
• The 02 Boys trailed by two goals at halftime and were unlucky to not have been awarded a penalty in the first half. The Hounds battled back with a goal by Austin Rocke, but they couldn't find an equalizer in a 2-1 loss.
Saturday, June 8
• The Pro Team again struggled to hold a lead, as a two-goal advantage disappeared in a 2-2 draw against the visiting Ottawa Fury. For more, read HERE.
In Boys ECNL matches at Montour Junction in Coraopolis:
• Bubby Towns scored a hat trick, and Anders Bordoy also scored as the 04 Boys looked strong in attack during a 4-3 win over the Michigan Wolves. The team was praised for its all-around effort but will need to tighten up defensively ahead of tomorrow's rematch.
• The 02 Boys were up to the challenge but couldn't find the net against the visiting Wolves, and the guests were able to get the lone tally in a 1-0 game.
• Will Sangpachatanaruk got a goal for the 03 Boys, but it was tough sledding against a strong Wolves team in a 5-1 defeat.