It was a light weekend for Riverhounds Development Academy (RDA) matches, with only the boys and girls teams competing in ECNL league play taking the field.
The RDA's girls teams played a home-and-home pair against Ohio's Internationals SC, hosting the Saturday matches at Montour Junction before traveling to Medina, Ohio, for Sunday's games.
Facing the same opponent twice afforded the 00/01 Girls a chance to learn from mistakes. After dropping their first match, 3-2, the Hounds tightened up their defense and came away with a 1-0 road win -- despite having just one substitute -- by virtue of a 25-yard strike by Caroline Swan.
The 03 Girls also had a strong weekend despite a slow start, as they rallied from a two-goal deficit for a 2-2 draw Saturday with goals by Anna Durmis and Tessa Dellarose. The momentum stayed with the Hounds on Sunday; Dellarose fired in a hat trick for a 3-1 victory.
The boys teams played both their matches in the Buckeye State against Ohio Premier, and the 00/01 Boys played a pair of high-scoring contests that resulted in 19 goals over two days.
Nathan Dragisich, Zach Ullum, Ethan Hackenberg and Gavin Benson scored Saturday for the 00/01s, who rallied for a 4-4 draw after being down 2-0 and 4-2. The scoring went even higher Sunday, as Dragisich and Fletcher Amos scored twice, and Ullum and Hackenberg also scored in a 6-5 win.
The 03 Boys also ended their weekend with a big turnaround, shutting out Ohio Premier by a 4-0 score just one day after conceding five times in a loss against the same team. Will Sangpatchatanaruk, Lucas Hammerle, Eben McIntyre and Sam Farner scored the RDA goals in the Sunday win.
For a complete rundown of the weekend's academy matches, visit the Live Results page.
Sunday, May 19
In Boys ECNL matches in Grove City, Ohio:
• The 03 Boys solidified their defense from a day ago, and goals by Will Sangpatchatanaruk, Lucas Hammerle, Eben McIntyre and Sam Farner gave the Hounds a 4-0 win over Ohio Premier.
• Defense seemed nonexistent in the 00/01 Boys match against Ohio Premier, which ended up going the Hounds' way, 6-5. Fletcher Amos and Nathan Dragisich had two goals apiece, and Zach Ullum and Ethan Hackenberg also scored for the RDA in the 11-goal affair.
• The 02 Boys fell to Ohio Premier, 4-1, with Luke Peperak netting the lone Hounds goal. The 04 Boys fell in their matchup, 7-1, with Bubby Towns scoring for the RDA.
In ECNL girls matches in Medina, Ohio:
• A day after taking a 3-2 loss to Internationals SC, the 00/01 Girls grabbed a 1-0 win on Caroline Swan's goal from 25 yards out. The Hounds grabbed the win on a hot Sunday despite playing with just one substitute available.
• The 03 Girls beat the heat and Internationals SC, as the RDA came out on top 3-1 with a hat trick by Tessa Dellarose and a strong road effort by the full side.
• For the second day in a row, Internationals SC showed its strength in the 04 Girls age group. The Hounds battled throughout, but early goals left them to chase the game, which ended 5-0.
• The 02 Girls trailed by a pair of goals but began to create multiple chances and had Internationals SC working to stay in front. The RDA girls couldn't break through, however, and the hosts tacked on goals late to make the final score 5-0, a more lopsided result than play indicated.
• The 03/04 Composite Girls fell by a 3-0 score, yielding most the Internationals chances while running against a strong wind during the match. The 00/01 Composite Girls also were unable to find the net in a 4-0 defeat.
In Memphis, Tenn.:
• In the early minutes of the morning, the Pro Team's match that began Saturday night at Memphis 901 FC was abandoned due to weather. The match will be replayed at a later date. Click HERE for more.
Saturday, May 18
In Boys ECNL matches in Grove City, Ohio:
• The 00/01 Boys showed resilience to twice rally from a two-goal deficit and come away with a 4-4 draw with their hosts, Ohio Premier. Nathan Dragisich, Zach Ullum, Ethan Hackenberg and Gavin Benson scored for the Hounds, who trailed at 2-0 and 4-2 and were a missed penalty kick away from turning the match into a victory.
• Like their older counterparts, the 04 Boys found themselves in a two-goal hole before rallying, but Ohio Premier held on for a 4-3 win in this one. Bubby Towns had a hat trick for the Hounds, who pulled level at 2-2 before the hosts pulled back ahead.
• Luke Peperak had the only Hounds goal in an entertaining, back-and-forth battle that saw the 02 Boys compete at a high level to earn a 1-1 draw with Ohio Premier.
• Lucas Hammerle, Keegan Amos and Tony Nicassio scored, but the Hounds 03 Boyscouldn't keep out Ohio Premier, which took a 5-3 win.
In ECNL girls matches at Montour Junction in Coraopolis:
• The comeback bug also struck the 03 Girls playing at home against Internationals SC (Ohio), as the Hounds got the final two goals to recover for a 2-2 draw. Anna Durmis and Tessa Dellarose scored for the RDA side, which had chances to win late but couldn't pull ahead.
• Michaela Watkins had an impressive solo goal and set up Abby McEnroe for a second-half strike, but the two tallies weren't enough for the 00/01 Composite Girls in a 5-2 loss to Internationals SC.
• The 04 Girls faced an uphill climb against a strong Internationals SC team, and while the Hounds were able to create some chances, the visitors' quality eventually showed through on the way to a 3-0 final.
• Decimated by injuries, the 02 Girls battled despite playing much of the match with 10 players and finishing with nine on the field in a 9-2 defeat.
• The 03/04 Composite Girls were shut out in their weekend opener against Internationals SC, 4-0.